St. Ignatius School is a Jesuit-sponsored middle school, inspired by the founding vision of Nativity Mission Center on New York's Lower East Side. For over twenty years, St. Ignatius School has served low-income middle schoolers in the Hunts Point section of the South Bronx, as well as SIS graduates in high school and college.
The Nativity Model, Our History:
- 1948 – Nativity Mission Center opens to serve poor immigrants on the Lower East Side.
- 1962 – Nativity Mission Center boys attend the first Summer Leadership Program at the Julian Reiss Foundation’s Camp Monserrate in Lake Placid, NY.
- 1971 – Nativity Mission Center opens a middle school on Forsyth Street on the Lower East Side.
- 1980’s – Nativity Mission Center begins to offer support to its graduates through high school and college.
- 1990’s – Word of Nativity Mission Center’s success spreads and the “Nativity model” is replicated across the country.
- 1995 – Saint Ignatius School is founded as a “Nativity model” middle school for boys in a storefront on Hunts Point Avenue, within the poorest congressional district in the United States (NY 16th).
- 1998 – The first middle school class graduates. Summer Leadership Program in Lake Placid, NY and the Graduate Support Program are established.
- 2002 – Alumni of the SIS class of ‘98 graduate high school.
- 2004 – Saint Ignatius School moves the boys into a permanent school building and establishes a program for girls.
- 2008 – First female class graduates.
- 2013 – Saint Ignatius School undergoes an extensive restructuring of New York Nativity and officially begins a regrowth and rebirth as the sole member of NYN.
- 2015 – Saint Ignatius School celebrates its twentieth anniversary.
- 2016 – Saint Ignatius School approved by the USA Northeast Province of the Society of Jesus Sponsorship Review.
- 2018 – Saint Ignatius School is awarded New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) accreditation.